6/30/10

Pin It

Widgets

Pareto principle or the 80/20 rule

When you start new projects, or when you are heavily involved in any project, whether personal or professional, there are always things that are priorities or more important than others. The other day reading an article, I bumped into the Pareto principle also known as the 80/20 rule, and as usually happens to me when I'm very focused on many things at once, I realized how important this principle is and that had to implement it.

What is the Pareto principle?, Well, first of all I'll tell you who was Pareto and what he discovered, and that later became the Pareto principle, Vilfredo Pareto was a sociologist, economist and Italian philosopher, who observed in 1906 that 80% of the land in Italy was owned by 20% of the population, proportions such that the minority group, comprising 20% of the population, showed 80% something and the largest group, comprising 80% of the population, 20% of the same thing.
Why do I mention the Pareto principle?, Because this principle applies to everything in life, from economics, politics, or even when we have outstanding tasks in our lives, as an example, think that have several tasks to make, 20% of these tasks mean 80% of the work, then, the issue is to identify those tasks to develop and thus meet the 80% of the work we have to do.
So thats why I think this principle is very useful, I think that for us to make a difference in life we have to identify what are the 80% most important things to do, and not to lose time in the 20% less important thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments but delete spam.

HINT: use the "Name/URL" function to get a free backlink straight to your blog!